Second Edition, Completely Revised and Updated(amazon)
Sally Shaywitz, M.D. and Jonathan Shaywitz, M.D. (View Bio)
Hardcover: Alfred A. Knopf, 2020.
This second edition from one of the world's preeminent experts on reading and dyslexia is the most comprehensive, up-to-date, and practical book available on identifying, understanding, and overcoming reading problems. It is now revised and completely updated to reflect the latest research and science-based approaches.
Dyslexia is the most common learning disorder on the planet, affecting about one in five individuals, regardless of age or gender. World-renowned expert Dr. Sally Shaywitz gives us a substantially updated and augmented edition of her classic work: drawing on an additional fifteen years of cutting-edge research, offering new information on all aspects of dyslexia and reading problems, and providing the tools that parents, teachers, and all dyslexic individuals need. This new edition also offers:
• New material on the challenges faced by dyslexic individuals in high school, in college, and across adulthood;
• Rich information on ongoing advances in digital technology that have dramatically increased dyslexics' ability to help themselves;
• New chapters on diagnosing dyslexia, choosing schools and colleges for dyslexic students, the co-implications of anxiety, ADHD, and dyslexia, and dyslexia in post-menopausal women;
• Extensively updated information on helping both dyslexic children and adults become better readers;
• New information on how to identify dyslexia in all age ranges;
• Exercises to help children strengthen the brain areas that control reading;
• A detailed home program to enhance reading;
• Ways to raise a child's self-esteem and reveal her strengths;
And inspiring stories of successful men, women, and young adults who are dyslexic.